Thursday, April 30, 2009

Am I Crazy

I am now two months out from my surgery. I have completed 4 months of doctor supervised weight management and begun a light exercise program that includes water aerobics and walking. I am feeling worse than I ever have. I have joint pain in my ankles, I am exhausted most days, and when I sleep I wake up several times throughout the night. I think part of it goes with age, stress, and worry but I feel that a lot of these issues will go away when the weight is gone.

I am scheduled to meet with the shrink as required by my surgeon. I am a bit nervous to meet with a stranger to discuss my decision to undergo this surgery. I have been told that my insurance company requires two separate meetings with the shrink. The build-up to the surgery is beginning to cost a lot of money upfront.

My monthly doctor appointments are a minimum of $85, I was required to undergo a scope that was $250 upfront, and the shrink visit could cost up to $300 depending on what insurance will pay. I am worried that I am going to do all the planning and jump through all the hoops that the insurance company requires and then be told "no" by the insurance approval team. The worst part of this wait is that there is no guarantee that doing all this will allow me to have the surgery. Bottom line the insurance company has to see a need once the documentation is submitted by the doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment